Detail View: Bill Powell Collection: Concrete Eagle

Filename: 
MCPL_BPC_0170.jpg
Identifier: 
MCPL_BPC_0170
Title: 
Concrete Eagle
Subject: 
Statues -- Paducah (KY)
Subject: 
Monuments -- Paducah (KY)
Subject: 
Hamburgers -- Paducah (KY)
Description: 
Black and white photograph of a concrete eagle in front of a hamburger sign. The eagle was once displayed on the outside of the U. S. Post Office at Fifth and Broadway in Paducah, KY. It was moved and made part of a historical marker and statue. After standing for 55 years, the post office was razed following the 1937 Flood, and when the citizenry found out that the eagle was to be demolished with the rest of the building, they banded together to make sure it was saved. Found in the median of Jefferson Street around the 2900 block, the statue memorializing the 1937 Flood is not in a very convenient location for perusal. The statue was unveiled and dedicated on June 19, 1938, about a year and a half after the great flood. The inscription on the base reads �An expression of gratitude to all who gave aid during the flood of 1937." The location of the monument marks the western extent of the water�s reach at the height of the flood on February 2, 1937. The statue was commissioned and paid for by the Jaycees, weighs four tons (8000 pounds), and cost $2000 in 1882. Hiding inside the base of the monument is a container which holds a clipping from the Sun-Democrat which tells of the razing of the post office and the history of the eagle, a photograph of the old post office, and the names of the Jaycees president and city officials.
Publisher: 
McCracken County Public Library
Contributor: 
Bill Powell
Contributor: 
John Robertson
Date: 
1965
Type: 
Still image
Format: 
Image/JPEG
Language: 
English
Coverage: 
Paducah (KY)
Rights: 
Permission for reuse of this image must be obtained through the McCracken County Public Library Local and Family History Department.